Hello – My name is Nikki. I am a Registered Veterinary Technician (veterinary nurse) with a special interest in Canine and Feline Nutrition.
My career in veterinary medicine started in 2008 as a Veterinary Technician at a local Wildlife facility – providing emergency, critical care, and food therapy for animals as small as a hummingbird, all the way up as big as a mountain lion.
During school, I continued work at the Wildlife facility while doing rotations, volunteer work, and internships with a variety of other hospitals and non-profits ranging from exotics to dogs/cats. After graduation (in 2013), I made my home as a Lead Technician in a Small Animal Hospital and got my own dogs – Ranger & Ash.
When my dog Ash struggled to remain stable on traditional diet options for GI disease, we stumbled into home cooking – and have not looked back since. Since then I’ve made it my goal to learn as much as I can about canine nutrition – and recently I have been accepted into the Animal Nutrition Master’s Program at the University of Glasgow.
- Bachelors Biology – San Diego State University 2011
- Associates Animal Science – Mesa College 2013
- Registered Veterinary Technician, CA 2013
- Diploma Companion Animal Nutrition – Southern Illinois University 2023
> in progress Masters in Animal Nutrition – University of Glasgow (class of 2026)
- Southern Illinois University Courses: Introduction to Companion Animal Nutrition, Introduction to Nutrition, Topics in Companion Animal Nutrition, Canine and Feline Nutrition, Companion Animal Clinical Nutrition, and Rations for Companion Animals ( total of 18 units or 270 hours of education ).
- NAVC Pet Nutrition Coach
- NAVC Therapeutic Pet Nutrition Coach
- University of Tennessee Nutritional Case Management
- WSAVA Nutrition Guidelines Certification
- The Science Dog Masterclass Nutrition Cert: Canine Nutrition Basics, Puppies to Seniors Course, & Dog Food Smarts
- VetGirl Animal Nutrition Certificate
- Dog’s Naturally Pet Nutrition Certificate, RAW Pet Food Specialist Certificate, Advanced Canine Nutrition Specialist.
About the Author: Nikki is a Registered Veterinary Technician (Veterinary Nurse) and Dog Mom with over a decade of experience with dogs and cats. Since graduation from college (BS Biology, Dip. Animal Nutrition, AS Animal Science) she has adopted two mixed breed dogs – Ranger and Ash, and has focused her time learning about pet food and nutrition.
Nikki shares information on a range of dog nutrition topics: from how to create a homemade complete and balanced dog food recipes, to how to choose a dog food. Nikki strives to give dog parents the information they need in order to make the best nutrition decisions for their pup!
You should receive your Free Dog Food Recipe Ebook within 24 hours of subscribing! Make sure to check your spam folder. The recipe ebook is over 90 pages long so make sure you have a good internet connection when you go to download it. Afterwards you will receive weekly Canine Nutrition Updates every Tuesday on different topics related to canine nutrition & homemade dog food!