With all the information out there, knowing and understanding what your dog’s nutritional needs are can be extremely confusing. Especially since it seems like everyone out there has an opinion or seems to be an expert.
The truth is – nutrition is both less scary, and more complicated than the “black and white” answers you read online.
Every dog is different, every situation is different – it is my goal as a Registered Veterinary Technician to guide you through the choice of what to feed your dog. I want to help you understand your dog’s nutritional needs. So you can feel confident in how you are feeding your pet.
There is NO best food for ALL dogs. But there is the best food for YOUR dog.Nikki Giovanelli, RVT
Dog Food Nutritional Consultation & Meal Plan
When you schedule a Dog Food Nutritional Consultation, you will receive a detailed nutritional questionnaire about your dog. This questionnaire is about 5 pages long and will ask you detailed questions about your dog including:
- Weight, Body Condition
- Activity Level
- Stools Consistency, Texture, Frequency
- Skin / Coat Health
- Medical Conditions, recent bloodwork and diagnostics
- Current Diet, how it is offered, how much is offered
- For Homemade Recipes – a full printout of current recipe
- Any treats, chews, or additions
- All supplements and medications.
The idea of this questionnaire is to not only discover what your dog’s unique nutritional needs are – but evaluate if the current diet you are feeding, and overall meal plan meets those nutritional needs.
During our Dog Food Consultation We Will Discuss:
- An overview of your dog’s nutritional needs – including macro-composition (protein, fat, carbs), caloric needs, and micronutrient needs due to disease states.
- An audit of your dog’s current diet to see if it fits your dog’s current nutritional, behavioral and lifestyle needs.
- Recommendations of how to improve your dog’s diet: this may include switching recipes, a homemade diet, combination feeding, supplements, enrichment activities, etc
- An overview of how to transition between pre-made/manufactured diets or onto a homemade dog food.
Each consultation is 45 minutes long over Zoom.
Approximately 1 week following your consultation you will receive a detailed dog food meal plan that includes a summary of what we discussed during our consultation.
As of August 1st: Dog Food Consultations are typically scheduled from 9a to 1pm PST Thursday.
Starting in September Dog Food Consultations will be offered on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 10a and 11am PST.
Dog Food Recipe Formulation Services:
After you have scheduled a nutritional consultation and we have discussed your dog’s nutritional needs, you can add-on a recipe formulation service.
Though I am a Registered Veterinary Technician and do have knowledge of nutritional considerations for dogs with different diseases and conditions – I am not a veterinarian or a board-certified veterinary nutritionist. Thus I do have some limitations of the types of diets that I can formulate.
If your dog is suffering from a disease state – I can direct you towards premade diet options, or DIY premade recipe, but I cannot formulate recipes for animals with: kidney disease, liver disease, urinary stones, IBD, or severe pancreatitis.
I also cannot create recipes for puppies younger than 1 year of age, or dogs over 100 lbs. However I can direct you towards homemade and fresh food options that would be appropriate.
Finally I do not create diets with high legume content – or vegan dog food recipes. This is largely due to current concerns with DCM, and incomplete research in this area.
I can create complete and balanced dog food recipes for:
- Healthy Pets of Different Activity Levels
- Healthy Senior Dogs
- Weight Loss or Weight Gain
- Limited Ingredient Recipes for Food Elimination Trials or Food Allergies
- Low Fat Recipes for Dogs with Fat Intolerance
- High Fiber Recipes to help with Satiety or Fiber-responsive loose stools
- Vegetarian Dog Food Recipes for Dogs with Protein Allergies
Questions about the consultation?
Contact me, and send me an email so we can discuss your options!
About the Author: Nikki is a Registered Veterinary Technician (Veterinary Nurse) and Dog Mom with over a decade of experience with dogs and cats. Since graduation from college (BS Biology, AS Animal Health -2013) she has adopted two mixed breed dogs – Ranger and Ash, and has focused her time learning about pet food and nutrition.
Nikki shares information on a range of dog nutrition topics: from how to create a homemade complete and balanced dog food recipes, to how to choose a dog food. Nikki strives to give dog parents the information they need in order to make the best nutrition decisions for their pup!
You should receive your Free Dog Food Recipe Ebook within 24 hours of subscribing! Make sure to check your spam folder. The recipe ebook is over 90 pages long so make sure you have a good internet connection when you go to download it. Afterwards you will receive weekly Canine Nutrition Updates every Tuesday on different topics related to canine nutrition & homemade dog food!